In July we took on two new accounts, both of which had Facebook Pages with less than 20 likes. One of our first tasks, I told both clients was that we needed to grow those numbers to at least 100 likes, largely because the full scope of tools provided by Facebook – from promoted posts to offers and deeper Insights – are only available at 100 Likes.
Most businesses, however, don’t take advantage of this fact. They setup a Facebook Page, let it sit, and assume that because no one Likes it or connects with them it isn’t a useful tool.
But Facebook, like any marketing channel takes active input to make work. If you’re not using it regularly, you’ll never see the kinds of results you’re looking for. And the first step is to hit the magic 100 Like milestone.
Here’s how to do it fast.
- Seed Your Account – Don’t promote anything until your Page is “complete”. Add photos, choose a Timeline cover, add at least 150 words to your About section, and ensure you have at least 5-10 updates on the Timeline so it doesn’t look empty. Then invite everyone you know personally so there are at least a few Likes on the page.
- Connect it With Everything – Connect it with Twitter, your blog, YouTube, Pinterest and anything else you can think of to ensure you get as many cross-posts as possible.
- Create 3-5 Exceptional Articles – Write or commission 3-5 very high quality posts or videos that you can then share on your Facebook Page and use as bait to get Likes. Go all out with these posts and make sure they hit on key questions or concerns members of your target audience might have.
- Run a General Ad for $10-$20 – Run a general ad for your target audience using impressions for about $10. The more targeted it is, the better it will perform, so keep that in mind. If you can get likes for $0.25-$0.50 each, you can hit 50 Likes in a day or so.
- At 50 Likes, Boost Your Exceptional Articles – When you reach 50 Likes, start posting your exceptional blog posts or videos and then boost them for $5 each. Match them to your target audience (or use the fans you already have to promote them on your behalf) and you’ll get between 1,000 and 5,000 impressions – well targeted headlines can get your Likes down to as little as $0.05/each.
This process takes, on average, about a week to complete. Some Facebook Pages we’ve developed can hit 100 over night, depending on the number of employees that company has or how many friends the owner can invite. Others take even longer than a week because of a very limited potential audience.
But whatever your circumstances, smart spend and targeted content will always grow your numbers faster than sitting and waiting. Maintenance is another issue entirely and consists of responding to posts, remaining consistent in what you post, and keeping people up to date on your website and blog – more on that in future posts, however.
Keep in mind too that while there is a bit of ad spend here – $20 or so on the outset – your Facebook Page will grow faster and more naturally in the future if you don’t spend money to make it happen. People will find you organically and WANT to interact with you because you are an authority and useful connection to have in that field.
[box]If you don’t have time to work on your Facebook Page’s Like count or if you’d like to scale things even faster, reach out to Great Leap Studios – we can discuss with you some of our most effective social marketing strategies, along with a few options that could really put your company on the social map. [/box]